15 Maret 2009

Mathematics is Problem Solving

Have you ever asked your self, why do you learn mathematics?
of course, there are many reasons and opinions about it.
Everybody have different point of view, reason, and opinion.
So, let's we know the absolute truth about mathematics before.
The word "mathematics" comes from the Greek (máthēma), which means learning, study, science, and additionally came to have the narrower and more technical meaning "mathematical study", even in Classical times.
Mathematics is the study of quantity, structure, space, change, and related topics of pattern and form. Mathematicians seek out patterns whether found in numbers, space, natural science, computers, imaginary abstractions, or elsewhere.

Based on Dr.Marsigit's explanation about the nature of mathematics, I got some information such as
: Mathematics is pattern, mathematics is communication,and mathematics is problem solving.

In here, I'll try to describe the third point.It is "Mathematics is problem solving"
Why we recognized that mathematics is problem solving. What is the meaning of problem solving,what the relation about mathematics and problem solving, and what the meaning of "mathematics is problem solving" itself?
I won't to explain all of them. But, I just want to share my opinion.
To understand this statement, I give you some examples,


-The Königsberg Bridge problem could be solved by graph theory. Networks have many uses in the practical side of graph theory, network analysis (for example, to model and analyze traffic networks). Within network analysis, the definition of the term "network" varies, and may often refer to a simple graph. Such as, to make the rule of Trans at Yogyakarta or Jakarta. It used graph theory.
-The house numbering used an Arithmetics, to make house or clothes design ,we use mathematics. All programs of computer use mathematics theory, and many other. We use mathematics application in our daily activities.
Sometimes, we do the math exercise, especially about the story form question. We must change this question into math sentence, so that we can do it easier.
The examples can show that mathematics can solve the problems. By learning mathematics, we training to solve the problem, training for creative logic thinking, and build up systematic and efficient math methods.
So, I conclude that mathematics is problem solving.

That’s all my opinion, adapted from many resources.

References:
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_theory#History
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics

0 komentar:

Posting Komentar